Top Medicare Keywords to Know

by Natalie Stefan

Navigating the world of Medicare can be a daunting task, especially with all the specific terms and jargon that come with it. To help you make informed decisions about your healthcare coverage, we’ve compiled a list of essential Medicare keywords you need to know. Understanding these terms will empower you to choose the right Medicare plan that suits your needs and ensures you get the best healthcare possible:

  • Premium: Your monthly premium is the amount you pay to enroll in a Medicare plan. It’s similar to a subscription fee, and it allows you to access the benefits provided by the plan.
  • Deductible: Before your Medicare plan starts covering costs, you must first meet your deductible. This is the initial amount you pay out-of-pocket for healthcare services and prescriptions within a given period, usually a year.
  • Co-pay: A co-pay is a fixed amount you pay for specific medical services or prescription drugs covered by your plan. For example, you might pay a $20 co-pay for each doctor’s visit or a fixed amount for each medication.
  • Co-insurance: Once you’ve met your deductible, co-insurance comes into play. Co-insurance is a percentage of the cost of a covered service that you’re responsible for paying. For instance, if your co-insurance is 20%, you pay 20% of the cost while your Medicare plan covers the remaining 80%.
  • Max-out-of-pocket limit: This is a critical feature of Medicare plans that offers protection against catastrophic healthcare expenses. Your max-out-of-pocket limit is the maximum amount you’ll have to pay in a given year for covered services. Once you reach this limit, your plan takes care of all covered expenses for the remainder of the year.

Aside from these core terms, there are various other important aspects of Medicare that you should be aware of when selecting a plan:

  • Medicare Parts: Medicare is divided into different parts, each covering specific services. Part A provides hospital insurance, Part B covers medical services like doctor visits, and Part D offers prescription drug coverage. Some plans may also include Part C, known as Medicare Advantage, which bundles Part A, B, and often Part D benefits together.
  • Medigap Plans: Medigap, also known as Medicare Supplement plans, are private insurance plans that help fill the gaps in coverage left by Original Medicare (Parts A and B). These plans can help pay for out-of-pocket expenses like deductibles and co-insurance.
  • Medicare Advantage Plans: Also referred to as Part C, Medicare Advantage plans are an alternative to Original Medicare. These plans are offered by private insurance companies and often provide additional benefits such as dental, vision, and hearing coverage.
  • Enrollment Periods: Medicare has specific enrollment periods when you can sign up for or make changes to your coverage. Understanding these periods is crucial to ensure you don’t miss any deadlines.
  • Prescription Drug Coverage: If you require prescription medications, it’s essential to choose a plan that includes comprehensive drug coverage under Part D. Different plans may cover different medications, so it’s essential to review each plan’s formulary.

Navigating through all these intricacies can be overwhelming, but you don’t have to do it alone. Medicare Info is here to help. Our service connects you to licensed insurance agents who can guide you through the process of selecting the right Medicare plan for your unique needs. With their expertise, you can rest assured that you’ll have the coverage you need for a healthy and worry-free future. Connect with Medicare Info today to get started on securing your coverage. Being informed is the first step toward making the best choices for your health and well-being.

Connect Now